
Saturday June 5th 2005
As I said in my little teaser from yesterday. I had a buzz about today, but I was incredibly hungry.
I sat around watching the Saw. I never guessed the ending to that! I had three cans of Guinness for the day, but the hunger just wouldn't go. The Guinness didn't go down to great either. No food all week meant that 1 never broke the taste of Guinness. I rang Bally and told him to meet me at the pub near his at 10pm.
As I got ready to go into town, I started to realise that I only had a couple of hours left. I wasn't feeling particularly happy about it either. I started thinking how I was going to miss this challenge. It had been very hard but also much fun. I would be going back to work on Monday after a week off (hence why I took the challenge) and back to normality. All this week I had been counting down the hours and now, looking at the finishing line, I felt like taking a short jog to avoid it.
I met with Bally and we sat down with our Guinness. I explained to him how I felt, but in my job I really couldn't continue this challenge and tonight was the very end. He had a kind of sadness in his eyes, as if he knew. I knew he was going to miss it as well. I think he quite liked being my support. We were soon joined by Cos who decided he wanted to taunt me with a pint of Fosters. We got another pint of Guinness in before last orders.
Bally wished me well as he had to head off, whilst me and Cos went to another bar to meet up with everyone. People began quizzing me, not believing that I had actually made it this long. I soon forgot about my earlier concerns and couldn't wait until midnight. Just one hour to go. I was wondering round with a big grin on my face and by now familiar Guinness in hand. Bally (before he left) had told me I had to get 4 pints of Guinness down within the last hour, a kind of last challenge within a challenge. I had managed 3, with 15 minutes left. A pint every 15mins! One of the highlights of the night for me was saying to the group 'ah sod it, only 15 mins left' and reaching for a pack of opened crisps. At least 4 people jumped up screaming 'NO'. I wasn't actually going to have a crisp, with 15 mins left that would be crazy, but it was funny watching the response. These people cared almost as much as me.
The Missus insisted she bought the final Guinness. From being dead against this challenge she was now sat there saying to people 'yeah, i can't believe he's done it, I knew he would though'. Typical!
People were asking me what was the first thing I was going to eat or drink. I just wanted a pint of lager. As minute approached we had a 10 second count down in which I was to down the last half of my pint. Midnight struck with much jubilation. I was ecstatic. I reached across for the pint of lager that had been sat mocking me for 10 minutes. I couldn't wait for that crisp taste. It tasted of Apple Tango. Now, I am pretty sure lager never tasted like apple tango with an after taste of Guinness. My taste buds had been destroyed. But it still didn't kill my mood. Cos decided to congratulate me by buying me a Sambuca. Easy boy! I haven't ate for a week. As I sat mulling over my pint, Cos decided it would be incredibly funny to put a pound in it. We had gone full circle. I couldn't believe it, my first lager in a week and he threw a pound in it. Down the hatch it went, putting up a fight all the way.
Another pint and shot was bought for me, I declared this would be my last as I really wanted to eat something. I got home, turned on the Radio to listen to the Hatton fight and made myself Oxtail soup on a cheese sandwich. Not exotic, or something you would dream about eating, but I just wanted to test the old stomach. I struggled to finish it all, leaving some soup and not even a half eaten sandwich. I felt so sick. I climbed into bed awaiting the morning, hoping it would be sick free.
Today I made myself a sandwich, which has left me feeling a little bloated and ill, which I pretty much expected. As I went into the fridge to make the sandwich, there were two cans of Guinness left over from the challenge. I looked at them, smiled, and whispered 'I'm sorry, but you'll have to stay in there for another day'.
I hope you have all enjoyed reading this blog as much as I have writing it. A big thanks to The Chaps and B3ta for the links. A huge huge thank you too all who have posted comments, and a big thanks to my good friends Cos, Bally, Mcnulty, Jim and Jimmy for all the support.
- I didn't lose any extra weight in the last couple of days. The final weight loss was 9lbs.
- I only had 5 pints of water all week. If t ever did this again I would certainly have more water.
- Looking back over the week I actually had 30 cans of Guinness and 20 pub pints of Guinness (as a rough count).
- I found pouring a can of Guinness in an official Guinness glass took 78 seconds (average).
Positives :-
1 )The weight loss
2)You can't drive anywhere WOOHOO
3)A good excuse to go out
4)lt does actually stave off hunger
Negatives :-
1)Visiting the toilet is NOT at all pleasant
2)The hunger pangs, they only come once or twice a day, last two hours, but ifs extreme hunger.
3)You urine resembles Irn Bru
Guinness, please get in touch with me and give me lots of cash and freebies.
__________________________________________________________________________
Thanks to those who sent in pictures of them drinking Guinness, they will be on this blog in the next couple of days. I will post on this blog over the next couple of days just to let you all know how I am doing.
We are desperate to do new challenges. One idea we have had is to meet as many people as we can next year, who signed the blog and have a pint of Guinness with them. If you are interested then email thequinnessdiet@vahoo.co.uk This isn't set in stone yet so don't feel like you have to send me your address, just email to say you would like to do this, it would only really work if we get around 20+ people who would be interested.
Also, if you have any challenges you think me or my friends should undertake (not just diet challenges, any type of challenge) then email your ideas to theguinnessdietgSvahoo.co.uk If we go ahead with your challenge we will keep you posted.
Again, thank you all, you have made this week a memorable one!

No comments:
Post a Comment