Tuesday, 24 May 2005

So the joke turned Real


Tuesday May 24th 2005

Well, as some of you may know, the most excellent http://get.to/chaps has an equally excel­lent message board.And a dear old friend named Hilly made a little suggestion.'What about test­ing out the famous 'Guinness diet'? Nothing but Guinness, water and bread for a week (or maybe two?)? We need a volunteer. Where are you Burty?"

I was reading the post, obviously.

And I laughed.

I laughed some more.

Then I giggled.

Then I wondered.

Then I planned.

Damn it.

Hilly knew he would have that effect on me. Something that should have been a discarded com­ment, was slowly becoming a reality.

So here we now are, getting ready for Sunday May 29th when the Guinness Diet will take place.The guidelines are, 1 week (Sunday may 29th to Sunday 5th June), 4 to 10 pints of Guin­ness a day, no food, only water allowed, 1 pint of milk for Calcium and a Vitamin supplement for Vitamin C {both of which Guinness is lacking).

Keep a note of blood pressure and heart rate before and after the experiment. I will keep you posted with pics, and post links to my video documentary!

Cya Soon!


1 comment:

  1. This is how it all started on the Chapboard (which still exists and can be logged into here: http://bit.ly/7oxQ3M)

    23.3.05
    John
    Ideas Ideas Ideas...
    If anybody has any ideas of fun stuff to do and make in terms of film, music, art, or anything creative put them down here!


    15.05.05
    Hilly
    What about testing out the famous 'guiness diet'? Nothing but guiness, water and bread for a week (or maybe two?)? We need a volunteer. Where are you Burty?


    22.05.05
    Burty
    Raise a pint of Guinness to your good health
    By KEVIN HUNT
    Hartford Courant
    Question: Whose dietary and health interests are better served by the 12-ounce beer?

    If the guidelines are less alcohol, fewer calories, fewer carbohydrates - and, to top it off, protection against heart attacks, blindness and maybe even impotence - then it's the Guinness drinker, hands down.

    No joke.

    Guinness, in fact, is lower in alcohol, calories and carbohydrates than Samuel Adams, Budweiser, Heineken and almost every other major-brand beer not classified as light or low-carb. It has fewer calories and carbohydrates than low-fat milk and orange juice, too.
    <...>
    In the study, Guinness proved twice as effective as Heineken at preventing blood clots. Guinness is loaded with flavonoids, anti-oxidants that give the dark color to many fruits and vegetables.

    These anti-oxidants are better than vitamins C and E, the study found, at keeping bad LDL cholesterol from clogging arteries. Blocked arteries also contribute to erectile dysfunction, as does overindulgence in alcohol.

    Guinness has a higher concentration than lighter beers of vitamin B, which lowers levels of homocysteine, linked to clogged arteries. And researchers have found that anti-oxidants from the moderate use of stout might reduce the incidence of cataracts by as much as 50%...


    Well, sounds good to me. A week you say?


    22.05.05
    Hilly
    Impressive, Burty. You'll have to get someone else to document, with the loss of motor skills and possibley consciousness. Although maybe that could be good for effect?

    Currently working out the finer points of the rules for a monstrous old school conker tournament which I have decided to name 'Break your nuts' if anyone fancies it when I get back. Yes Michael drink will be involved.

    ReplyDelete